Eggs in Maple-Ham Cups
An easy, fun and unexpected breakfast dish. Maple syrup and fresh herbs infuse the ham cups with flavor. Pasteurized eggs can be used, but the eggs will appear more scrambled. Keep the ham cups from leaking: make sure ham slices are free of holes. Ham cups can be served on a toasted English-muffin half or with whole-wheat toast. Add 1 Tbsp of grated Gruyère, cheddar or Swiss cheese to each ham cup before cracking in the eggs in Step 3. Maple syrup is rich in minerals like Ca, K, and Mg.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 12 slice(s) Black Forest or smoked Virginia ham, cut a little thinner than a slice of American cheese(about 8–10 ounces total)
- 2 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped fresh dill or chives; if using dried herbs, use 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- Additional dill or chive sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Toasted, buttered whole-wheat bread cut into triangles (optional)
- Step 1: Position one baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using a pastry brush and the melted butter or margarine, generously coat the inside of all 12 cups in a standard-size muffin tin.
- Step 2: Fit 1 slice of ham into each cup, pressing down gently to line the cup. The ends will stick up over the edges of the cups before cooking. (The ham shrinks considerably during baking and will form a more cup-like appearance.)
- Step 3: Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup into the bottom of each ham cup, followed by 1/2 teaspoon of dill or chives. (If using dried herbs, use 1/8 teaspoon.) Crack 1 egg into each ham cup.
- Step 4: Bake until whites are cooked and yolks are firm, about 20 minutes. If any large bubbles form on the eggs during baking, pierce them with a toothpick or wooden skewer while they cook.
- Step 5: Remove the baking pan from the oven and season the eggs with salt and pepper. Using 2 teaspoons or small spatulas, carefully lift the full ham cups out and place on a serving plate. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs (if using) and serve immediately.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note