Eggs in Jail
Outerlands restaurant in San Francisco serves this take-off on the classic eggs-in-a-frame. We borrowed the idea for camp. You'll need to pack a bread knife and a 1 1/2-in. round cutter or a tricked-out Swiss Army knife.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 587
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 43g
- Saturated fat: 22g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 1214mg
- Cholesterol: 453mg
- 8 slices thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon (10 oz. total)
- 1 loaf (12 oz.) unsliced brioche*
- About 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- About 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/8 tsp. pepper
- IN CAMP
- 1. Brown bacon in a 12-in. cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, 8 to 10 minutes, turning as needed. Transfer to paper towels and drape with foil to keep warm. Discard fat from pan and wipe pan somewhat clean with a paper towel.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut 4 brioche slices, each about 1 1/4 in. thick (you'll have bread left over). Spread both sides with about 3 tbsp. butter total. Cut a hole in each slice; set centers aside.
- 3. Put bread in pan, pressing down slightly to flatten, and set over medium-low heat. Put about 1/2 tsp. butter in each hole, then crack an egg into each. Sprinkle eggs with a little salt and pepper. Cook until bottom of bread is golden, 3 minutes.
- 4. Flip toast and eggs carefully with a wide spatula. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper. Cook until underside of toast is golden and egg is done the way you like, about 3 minutes more for softly set.
- 5. Transfer eggs and toast to plates. Quickly toast bread centers, then set 1 on each serving. Serve with bacon.
- *Find at Trader Joe's and other well-stocked grocery stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note