Community Recipe from
- 500 g baby spinach, washed
- 1 large tablespoon(s) of unsalted butter
- 8 fresh medium eggs
- 4 English muffins, toasted
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon(s) white peppercorns
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sea salt
- Finely chopped chives or onions to garnish
- Make The Vinegar Reduction
- Put the white wine vinegar, water, white peppercorns and a bay leaf into a small, heavy-based pan and bring to the boil.
- When the liquid has reduced by half strain it into a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Cook The Spinach
- Put the spinach into a large dry pan, add a splash of water and steam for 30-40 seconds until wilted, continuously moving it around the pan.
- Drain and squeeze any excess water from the spinach through a clean tea towel, then return to the dry pan with a little butter.
- Toss to coat and season with a pinch of salt.
- Make The Hollandaise Sauce
- Set a medium-sized bowl over a pan of water which has been brought up to the simmer and turned off, making sure the water does not touch the base of the bowl.
- Strain the reduction into the bowl through a sieve and gently whisk.
- Very slowly pour in the melted butter, avoiding the milky residue at the bottom, and whisk constantly with a balloon whisk.
- If the mixture is becoming too thick, briefly turn the heat back on low but make sure the hollandaise doesn’t overheat – you do not want the sauce to separate.
- Once all your butter has been added season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in some lemon juice and put to one side.
- Poach The Eggs
- Heat a pan of water to simmering point and add a splash of white wine vinegar.
- Crack your eggs one at a time into a bowl and then pour gently into the water.
- Gently lift the egg of the bottom of the pan with a metal spoon for a few seconds and then leave to cook until the egg white has plenty of bounce and the yolk feels soft inside.
- Continue until all your eggs are poached.
- Slice your muffins in half and toast.
- Place the two halves on your serving plate and butter.
- Place some of the spinach on top of each muffin and a poached egg on each.
- Top each egg with a large spoonful of the hollandaise sauce.
- Garnish with chopped chives or green onions
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes