- 4 pounds fresh spinach
- 8 eggs
- Salt to taste
- 1 (13-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 8 ounces process American cheese
- 2 cups buttered soft breadcrumbs
- 4 cups cooked, mashed potatoes
- Remove stems from spinach; wash leaves thoroughly in lukewarm water. Place in a Dutch oven (do not add water). Cook over high heat 3 to 5 minutes. Drain spinach well; chop.
- Divide spinach evenly into eight 10-ounce custard cups. Carefully break 1 egg on top of spinach in each cup. Sprinkle each with salt; set aside.
- Combine milk and cheese in top of a double boiler. Cook over boiling water, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. Pour cheese sauce over eggs; top with buttered breadcrumbs.
- Place custard cups in two 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pans, and pour hot water into pans to a depth of 1/2 inch. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes
- Place custard cups on a baking sheet. Pipe mashed potatoes around edges of custard cups. Broil 6 inches from heating element 2 minutes or until potatoes are browned. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note