There is an extra vegetable in the photo that is not in the recipe. Is it green bell? Okra?
Eggplant and Tomato Tagine
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 98
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 18.3g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 373mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 11 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled eggplant (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sprinkle eggplant with 1/4 teaspoon salt; let stand 20 minutes. Rinse; pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place eggplant on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Coat eggplant with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until eggplant is tender, stirring once.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Combine tomato paste, paprika, cumin, garlic, and tomatoes in a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; simmer 3 minutes. Add eggplant to pan; cook 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Stir in juice; garnish with bell pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables