Very good! I couldn't find smoked mozzarella so I used smoked Gouda. I doubled the garlic and did not use the mint. I also drizzled some olive oil on top before baking. Served it with a big salad. My husband loved it also. Perfect for meatless Monday!!
Eggplant, Tomato, and Smoked Mozzarella Tart
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 260
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 681mg
- Calcium: 210mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through 1/4 teaspoon salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture. Add water and 1 tablespoon oil, stirring to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap dough, and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Fit dough, plastic-wrap side up, into a 10-inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press dough against bottom and sides of pan. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, arrange eggplant on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Sprinkle eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 15 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels; brush eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Stack eggplant slices on a plate; cover with plastic wrap. Let eggplant stand 7 minutes to steam.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, basil, oregano, mint, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons smoked mozzarella on bottom of baked crust. Layer eggplant and tomato mixture in crust; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons smoked mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into 8 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This