Easy and quick recipe for someone who is learning cooking.
NOTES: Serve this mild-flavored eggplant dish over hot cooked rice.
Yield: MAKES: 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 396
- Calories from fat: 198%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sodium: 0.0mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 white onions (about 1 lb. total), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces Japanese or Chinese eggplant
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Pour olive oil into a 12-inch frying pan with 2-inch-tall sides or a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add onions and stir frequently until limp, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; stir occasionally until tomatoes are soft and have released their juices, about 10 minutes. Stir in fish sauce, turmeric, ginger, and salt.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse eggplant and cut into 1-inch chunks, discarding ends. Stir into tomato mixture along with tofu. Cover and cook until eggplant is tender when pierced, about 20 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately (see notes).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables