Good solid recipe. We cut the eggplant smaller also, and added some salt and just a dash of hot sauce at the end to spark up the flavor. Great for a weeknight. Makes a lot of food!
This vegetarian Stroganoff was submitted by reader Karen Rose, of Mariposa, California. To make it even creamier, Karen suggests using half-and-half in place of the milk.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 391
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sodium: 625mg
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 12 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium eggplant (12 oz.), cut into 1-in. cubes
- About 2 tbsp. butter
- About 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Cook noodles in a large pot as package directs. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large wide pot over high heat, cook mushrooms, onion, and eggplant in 2 tbsp. each butter and oil, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes, adding a little more oil if needed.
- 3. Stir in salt, pepper, and flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and milk, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- 4. Put sour cream and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in hot broth mixture 1/4 cup at a time, then return to pot. Spoon eggplant sauce over noodles and sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note