Eggplant Spread With Yogurt and Parsley (Melintzanosalata)
Every Greek cook has a version of this spread. In restaurants, you'll often find the eggplant mixed with mayonnaise - a French-inspired variation. This fresh-tasting spread is great with pita chips or as a topping for steamed potatoes; Aglaia Kremezi also likes to serve it in the summer as a cold sauce for pasta such as penne or tagliatelle.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 16
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 1.6g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 60mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- 3 eggplants (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh parsley leaves, divided
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 bottled pepperoncini pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Place on a jelly-roll pan, cut sides up; brush cut sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Broil 15 minutes or until tender and browned. Remove from oven; cool on pan 10 minutes. Peel eggplants; chop pulp. Place pulp in a bowl.
- Finely chop 1 cup parsley; set aside. Combine remaining parsley, 2 tablespoons oil, onions, vinegar, garlic, and pepperoncini pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally; add to eggplant. Stir in reserved chopped parsley, capers, salt, and black pepper. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Spoon yogurt onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; spread to 1/2-inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand for 5 minutes. Scrape yogurt from paper towel into eggplant mixture; stir gently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Eggplant Spread With Yogurt and Parsley (Melintzanosalata) Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads
- CONVENIENCE: Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: Mediterranean, Greek
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Broil
- OCCASION: Super Bowl
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light