- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium eggplant, stemmed and cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle chile, minced, plus 1 tbsp. adobo sauce from can
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- calories 60
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- protein 1.2 g
- fat 3.6 g
- satfat 0.5 g
- carbohydrate 7 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- sodium 201 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add eggplant, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant starts to soften, about 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is dark and thick like chutney, about 30 minutes.
Make ahead: Up to one day; let cool, then chill airtight.
Wine pairing: Ceja 2008 Pinot Noir. The earthy berry fruit in the wine makes the sweetness of the fresh eggplant pop; a hint of sassafras doubles the effect.