Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches
More From Southern Living
Broil: 2 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 337
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 822mg
- Calcium: 187mg
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs*
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 (14-ounce) crusty French bread loaf, halved horizontally
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Pasta sauce (optional)
- Sprinkle eggplant evenly on both sides with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Whisk egg whites in a shallow bowl until frothy. Set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Arrange on a wire rack coated with cooking spray in an aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Lightly coat eggplant slices evenly on both sides with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and eggplant is tender, adding split bread halves to oven during the last 5 minutes.
- Spread pasta sauce evenly on cut sides of bread. Arrange eggplant on bottom half of bread; sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 6 inches from heat 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Cover with top half of bread. Cut into 6 sandwiches, and serve with pasta sauce, if desired.
- *1 cup Italian breadcrumbs may be substituted for panko breadcrumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches