- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (such as Bertolli)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- calories 266
- fat 10.2 g
- satfat 4.2 g
- protein 13 g
- carbohydrate 29.3 g
- fiber 7.5 g
- cholesterol 24 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 968 mg
- calcium 315 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine first 4 ingredients; stir well. Set aside.
Combine breadcrumbs and next 4 ingredients in a pie plate or shallow dish; stir well. Spread mayonnaise over both sides of eggplant slices, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Set aside 1/4 cup leftover breadcrumb mixture. Place eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove eggplant from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
Spoon 1/2 cup marinara sauce mixture in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over sauce. Pour about 1 cup marinara sauce over eggplant slices, and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant, marinara sauce, and cheese; top with reserved 1/4 cup breadcrumb mixture.
Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.