Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Dan Becker
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 427
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Sodium: 1020mg
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs.), cut lengthwise into 8 slices (1/2 in. thick)
- 8 ounces water-packed fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup crushed croutons
- 1. Set an oven rack in highest position and preheat oven to 350°. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add wine and let reduce by half, 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar, pepper, and chile flakes and simmer, stirring often, until very thick, 20 minutes.
- 2. Lay eggplant slices meanwhile on a greased broiler pan (they can overlap). Cover with foil. Bake until steamy and softened, 20 minutes. Uncover; brush with 1 tbsp. oil. Broil until starting to brown, then turn over and brush with remaining oil. Broil until lightly browned, 8 minutes total.
- 3. Put an eggplant slice on an oven-safe plate (leave broiler on). Top with 1/4 cup tomato sauce. Lay another slice of eggplant across first and spoon more sauce on top. Top with 2 slices cheese. Repeat layering on 3 more plates.
- 4. Broil 2 plates at a time just to melt cheese, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle each plate with about 2 tbsp. each mixed herbs and croutons. Serve with remaining sauce.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This