- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 (1-ounce) diagonally cut slices French bread (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonally cut slices unpeeled eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 223
- fat 9.6 g
- satfat 3.7 g
- protein 11.0 g
- carbohydrate 24.4 g
- fiber 3.5 g
- cholesterol 16 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 451 mg
- calcium 231 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well. Set aside.
Arrange bread, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 3 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush eggplant evenly with olive oil. Broil 3 inches from heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
Top each bread slice with 2 tablespoons olive mixture, 1 eggplant slice, 2 additional tablespoons olive mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese. Broil 5 inches from heat 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to stand 3 minutes.