The sauce was a little flat, and needed salt and something to add to the sweetness. It could have been the tomato puree I used, but I doubt it. Other than needing a little more oomph w/ more salt and pepper (in the ricotta, sauce, and eggplant) this was a very nice dish. I would definitely make again, thought it is a little time consuming to do the whole process.
Eggplant Matzo Lasagna
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 257
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 18.2g
- Carbohydrate: 42.3g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 670mg
- Calcium: 277mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato purée
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) container nonfat ricotta cheese
- 3 slices American matzo
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, wine, basil, oregano, peppers, and purée. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes, turning the slices over after 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet, and let cool. Cut the eggplant slices into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese; stir well, and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 1 1/2 slices matzo over tomato mixture, and top matzo with half of ricotta cheese mixture, half of eggplant, and half of tomato mixture. Repeat the layers, ending with the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles