Wonderful! I grilled the eggplant and skipped the arugula. Bottled roasted red peppers worked for some, but I also used some peppers I grilled along with the eggplant and they had the right flavor as well. Most people said that the skins were tough to bite through and to peel them before/after cooking, but they enhanced the appearance and didn't bother me.
Eggplant and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
Transform sandwich night with this hearty veggie-laden stacker. You can peel the eggplant, but the sandwiches are prettier with the deep-purple skin intact. Rich goat cheese adds another dimension of flavor.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 20.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 43.1g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 635mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft goat cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon oil. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand. Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
- 3. Broil bread slices for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each of 2 bread slices. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and 2 eggplant slices. Toss arugula with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and black pepper; divide arugula mixture evenly between sandwiches. Spread 2 tablespoons goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place, cheese side down, on sandwiches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note