More From Southern Living
Chill: 30 Minutes
Fry: 4 Minutes
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 white bread slices, toasted and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Chop eggplant into bite-size pieces. Drop eggplant into a large pot of water as you chop to keep it from discoloring. Add extra water to cover, if necessary. Bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
- Sauté onions and bell pepper in 2 teaspoons hot vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- Pulse bread in a food processor 3 to 4 times or until finely crumbled to equal 3/4 cup; remove and set aside.
- Pulse eggplant, salt, garlic powder, and ground pepper in food processor 3 times or until blended.
- Stir together eggplant puree, breadcrumbs, vegetables, and eggs until combined; chill 30 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a large skillet; heat to 350°. Drop eggplant mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, in batches, into hot oil; fry 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note