Eggplant Crab Cakes
- 2 pounds fresh lump crabmeat, divided
- 2 medium eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, divided
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 pickled pepperoncini pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups soft bread crumbs, divided*
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnishes: lemon wedges, thyme sprigs, red pepper strips
- Drain crabmeat, removing any bits of shell or cartilage; set aside.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and sprinkle with salt. Place, cut side down, in a 9- x 13-inch baking pan; add 1 cup water.
- Bake, covered, at 400° for 40 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil in a large non-stick skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add 1/4 cup wine, celery, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Spoon pulp from eggplant, discarding peel. Pulse eggplant and vegetable mixture in a food processor 4 times or until coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet. Add 1 pound crabmeat and remaining wine; bring to a boil. Add eggplant mixture, pepperoncini, salt, and pepper, tossing gently. Remove from heat and cool. Add 1 cup bread crumbs and cheese; toss gently.
- Shape into 8 (3 1/2-inch) patties; dredge in remaining bread crumbs.
- Cook 4 patties in 1 1/2 teaspoons hot oil in a large skillet 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties. Serve with remaining crabmeat. Garnish, if desired.
- *Note: Softbread crumbs are made by placing bread slices in a food processor or blender processing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one week or up to six months in freezer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Eggplant Crab Cakes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres, Main Dishes
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, Italian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Shellfish, Vegetables
- COOKING METHOD: Fry, Food Processor
- OCCASION: Summer, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living