- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- calories 84
- caloriesfromfat 20 %
- fat 1.9 g
- satfat 0.2 g
- monofat 1.1 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 2.5 g
- carbohydrate 12.3 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 336 mg
- calcium 25 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves); wrap in foil. Bake at 450° for 45 minutes, and cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
While garlic roasts, place eggplant, cut sides down, in a baking pan. Add water to a depth of 1/4 inch. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until tender, and cool 10 minutes.
Scrape pulp from eggplant skins; discard skins. Place eggplant, garlic pulp, sesame seeds, and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl.