Eggnog Ice Cream
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 5.4g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 51mg
- Cholesterol: 256mg
- 1/2 cup bourbon (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Hazelnut Caramel Sauce (optional)
- 1. In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over high heat, bring bourbon to a simmer. Remove from heat, carefully ignite with a match (not beneath or near a fan, vent, or flammables), and shake pan gently until flame dies. Set aside.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, stir milk with sugar until simmering. Remove from heat and whisk some of the hot liquid into yolks; then return mixture to pan.
- 3. Stir over low heat until custard coats the back of a spoon in a smooth, velvety layer, 6 to 9 minutes.
- 4. Remove from heat and stir in whipping cream, bourbon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture through a fine strainer into a large metal bowl; discard residue. Nest bowl of custard in ice and stir often until the mixture is cold, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Pour custard into an ice cream maker and freeze, following manufacturer's directions or until dasher is hard to turn.
- 6. Serve or, for firmer ice cream, store airtight in freezer at least 3 hours (or up to 1 week).
- Nutritional analysis does not include Hazelnut Caramel Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note