This recipe has become a family favorite - we ALWAYS have this at Christmas time. I even make it other times when we want a special treat. The cherries are really necessary and they will bleed on the custard if kept in the refrigerator more than one day.
Eggnog Custards With Candied Cherries
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Ground nutmeg
- Candied Cherries
- Place six (6-ounce) custard cups or souffle dishes in a 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan; set aside. Beat first 4 ingredients with a wire whisk until thick and pale; set aside.
- Bring half-and-half to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan; remove from heat. Gradually stir about one-fourth of half-and-half into yolk mixture; add to remaining half-and-half, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Stir in bourbon.
- Spoon custard mixture evenly into custard cups. Add water to baking pan to a depth of 1". Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove custards from water. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle custards with nutmeg, and top each custard with 3 Candied Cherries.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts