Egg Sandwich with Mustard Greens and Avocado
"Natural Curiosity at Home" by Lila Byock. Dishes from chef Sera Pelle of L.A.'s Natural Curiosities. Pelle wraps these sandwiches in parchment paper for breakfast on the go. Recipe published in Food & Wine: March 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) safflower oil
- 1 pound(s) mustard greens, thick stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 large Hass avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slice(s) of whole-grain bread, toasted and buttered
- Hot sauce
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add the greens and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until tender, 1½ minutes; season with salt. Transfer the greens to a bowl and keep warm.
- 2. In a small bowl, mash the avocado. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.
- 3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Crack the eggs into the pan and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until the whites are crisp, about 1 minute. Flip the eggs and cook until the whites are firm and the yolks are runny, 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Spread the avocado on 4 of the toast slices. Top with the greens and fried eggs and sprinkle with the hot sauce. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve right away.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note