Egg Sandwich with Mustard Greens and Avocado
Photo: Paul Costello
"I usually make these sandwiches on days when there isn't enough time to sit down for a proper breakfast," says Sera Pelle, who wraps them in parchment paper for her kids to eat on the go.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Food & Wine
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 pound mustard greens, thick stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 large Hass avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices whole-grain bread, toasted and buttered
- Hot sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add the greens and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until tender, 1 1/2 minutes; season with salt. Transfer the greens to a bowl and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Crack the eggs into the pan and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until the whites are crisp, about 1 minute. Flip the eggs and cook until the whites are firm and the yolks are runny, 2 minutes longer.
- Spread the avocado on 4 of the toast slices. Top with the greens and fried eggs and sprinkle with the hot sauce. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note