Egg, Lemon, and Rice Soup (Avgolemono Soupa)
Greek American Paige Poulos uses a rich homemade stock for this classic Greek soup, but canned broth makes a good version too. Prep and Cook Time: about 30 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 107mg
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1. In a medium pan over high heat, bring broth and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 15 to 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk eggs, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to blend. Gradually whisk in about a cup of the hot broth mixture. Then gradually whisk egg mixture into broth and rice mixture. Stir over low heat just until hot, 1 to 3 minutes; don't boil or soup may curdle. Ladle into bowls.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note