Egg Drop Soup with Mustard Greens
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 302
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 315mg
- Cholesterol: 166mg
- 1/4 pound fat-trimmed boned pork loin
- 2 stalks (about 2 oz. total) fresh lemon grass or 6 strips lemon peel (yellow part only; 1/2 by 3 in. each)
- 8 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 pound mustard greens
- 1/4 pound rice noodles (Chinese rice sticks, or mai fun)
- 1/4 pound (26 to 30 per lb.) shelled, deveined shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs
- Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- Chopped green onions
- Asian red chili sauce or hot sauce
- 1. Cut pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices; then cut slices into pieces about 2 inches long.
- 2. In a 4- to 5-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir pork until most of the pink is gone, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
- 3. Trim and discard root ends and coarse outer leaves from lemon grass. Crush lemon grass slightly.
- 4. Add lemon grass and broth to pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, rinse and drain mustard greens. Discard tough stems. Cut greens into 2- to 3-inch pieces.
- 6. Add mustard greens, noodles, and shrimp to broth mixture. Simmer just until noodles are tender to bite and shrimp are pink and opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift out and discard lemon grass from broth. Return pork and juices to pan.
- 7. Break eggs into broth mixture and stir gently, breaking yolks, until eggs are set, about 1 minute.
- 8. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Add fish sauce, green onions, and red chili sauce to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note