Great breakfast casserole. Followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't change anything. Everyone loved it!
Egg, Cheese, and Sausage Bake
Photo: Ngoc Minh Ngo
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 698
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Fat: 51g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Cholesterol: 420mg
- Sodium: 1,196mg
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 34g
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 3 hamburger or hot dog buns, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated Swiss cheese
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Tear the buns into large pieces and place in the dish; set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage meat to the skillet. Cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the cooked sausage and onion along with the parsley and 1 cup of the cheese. Pour the mixture over the buns, pressing with a spatula or spoon to submerge them. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until the eggs are set, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This