- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 3 hamburger or hot dog buns, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated Swiss cheese
- calories 698
- caloriesfromfat 66 %
- fat 51 g
- satfat 21 g
- cholesterol 420 mg
- sodium 1,196 mg
- carbohydrate 23 g
- fiber 1 g
- sugars 7 g
- protein 34 g
How to Make It
Heat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Tear the buns into large pieces and place in the dish; set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage meat to the skillet. Cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the cooked sausage and onion along with the parsley and 1 cup of the cheese. Pour the mixture over the buns, pressing with a spatula or spoon to submerge them. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until the eggs are set, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.