So delicious and simple to make! Followed the recipe except for using egg substitute and reduced fat cheddar to cut fat and calories.
Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tacos with Homemade Salsa
Fresh-made salsa tastes more vibrant than bottled, and you control the added sodium. The cheese and sour cream add salty notes to these tacos. Corn tortillas have a fraction of the sodium in flour ones, and they also contribute a pleasingly chewy texture. Round out breakfast with fresh mango slices.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 334
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 289mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 407mg
- Calcium: 201mg
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup organic refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir in 2 teaspoons juice and 1/2 teaspoon garlic. Combine beans, remaining 2 teaspoons juice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic, and cumin in another bowl.
- 2. Combine milk and eggs in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add green onions to pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in egg mixture; cook 3 minutes or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 3. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spread 1 tablespoon bean mixture on each tortilla. Spoon about 2 tablespoons egg mixture down center of each tortilla. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon tomato mixture, 1 tablespoon cheese, and 1 teaspoon sour cream.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note