- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 18 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
How to Make It
Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in seasonings and garlic.
Spread one-third of sauce in bottom of a greased 13- x 9- x 2- inch baking dish. Layer half of sliced eggs and half of crumbled bacon over sauce. Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Serve hot.