Really simple recipe to make and a welcome change to the standard breakfast/brunch fare. My wife doesn't like poached egg, so I hard cooked it and it was equally as good! We also like sourdough bread, so that will be our next variant. Make a great meal when entertaining house guests, as there are a couple simple jobs that everyone can help with.
Poached Egg and Arugula Salad Bruschetta
Top toasts with bacon-y arugula salad, or break the egg and let the golden yolk run over all. For a simple side, riff on hash brown potatoes by tossing refrigerated potato wedges with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until golden.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 16 Minutes
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Carbohydrate: 19.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 183mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 559mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces French bread baguette, cut into 8 slices
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (5-ounce) package arugula
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Combine shallots, oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat both sides of each bread slice with cooking spray. Add bread to grill pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- 2. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; add remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar to pan. Break eggs into custard cups. When water cools to a simmer, gently pour eggs into pan; cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon.
- 3. Place 2 toast slices on each of 4 plates. Add arugula to oil mixture; toss. Arrange about 1 cup arugula mixture on each serving; sprinkle evenly with bacon. Top each serving with 1 egg. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes