- 1 sheet poster board or cardboard
- 1 recipe Gingerbread Snowflake Cookie dough
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 recipe Royal Icing
- 3 candles, assorted heights
- Cut 1 (9X5-inch) patter, 1 (6- x 3 1/2-inch) pattern, and 1 (3- x 3 1/2- inch) pattern from poster board or cardboard.
- Roll gingerbread dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut 4 (9- x 5-inch) rectangles using pattern. Transfer rectangles to parchment paper or lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheets.
- Cut designs from rectangles with desired shapes of small cutters and remove leaving a 1/2 inch border around edges. Reserve dough scraps.
- Reroll dough scraps to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut 4 (6- x 3 1/2 inch) rectangles using pattern. Repeat transferring and cutting procedure as directed.
- Reroll dough scraps to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut 4 (3- x 3 1/2-inch) rectangles using pattern. Repeat transferring and cutting procedure as directed.
- Cook sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook, without stirring, 10 to 12 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches hard crack stage (300º) and mixture is light golden brown.
- Pour into a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan; cool. Coarsely crush candy.
- Fill cutouts in gingerbread rectangles with candy, making sure candy touches cookies round edges.
- Bake at 350º for 15 to 20 minutes or until sugar melts and cookies are golden. Cool in pans on wire racks.
- Pipe rectangle edges, and fit corners together, holding sides of large votive in place for 5 to 10 minutes or until dry enough to adhere. Repeat procedure with remaining rectangles, making medium and small votives.
- Spoon icing into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip; pipe edges of votives. Let stand 8 hours. Place votives over candles.
- NOTE: Coarsely crushed Butter Rum Life Savers may be substituted for crushed sugar syrup candy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note