Easy Vegetable Broth
Vegetable broth is one of the fundamentals of good cooking, useful as a base for everything from soups to sauces. This recipe is simple to make and creates enough broth for multiple meals. Add salt to taste once you've made your soup.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 14
- Calories from fat: 5%
- Protein: 0.6g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 3g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 19mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped, rinsed well
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1. Put all ingredients in a large pot and add 4 qts. water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until broth is reduced by half, 2 1/2 to 3 hours; at the beginning, spoon off any foam that forms on top.
- 2. Pour mixture through a strainer into a bowl and let broth cool; discard vegetables.
- 3. Use broth, or ladle it into qt.-size freezer bags or containers (great for soup) or ice cube trays (handy for sauces) and freeze up to 6 months; transfer cubes to bags once they're solid.
Nutritional analysis is per cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This