- 2 cups water or orange juice
- 1 (3-inch) piece orange rind
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice
- 2 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Burgundy
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Garnishes: blanched almonds, golden raisins
How to Make It
Combine first 9 ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, being careful not to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Strain mixture, and serve immediately, or gently reheat before serving. (If you prefer a stronger flavor, steep spices longer before straining.) Garnish, if desired.
Note: For a nonalcoholic version, use water or orange juice, and substitute 3 cups Concord grape juice for the wine. Omit sugar, and follow glögg procedure.