- 8 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 3 ounces light processed cheese, shredded (such as Velveeta Light; about 3/4 cup)
- 2.5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Green Salad with Simple Vinaigrette
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
While pasta cooks, combine milk, flour, and peppers in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook for 4 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Add cheeses and salt; stir until smooth. Add pasta, and stir to coat. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over top; broil 2 minutes or until browned.