After reading the reviews, I made several changes, and it came out perfect. It was very tasty with just a mild kick and received rave reviews from friends who shared the meal. I cooked on HIGH for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours and then added the shrimp and cooked on low for about 30-45 minutes longer. I used CHORIZO sausage, CREOLE spice mix, SEASONED diced tomatoes and added 1 TBSP OLD BAY. I used two packages of ZATARAINS DIRTY RICE instead of white, and cooked it separately (prepare rice according to package directions during the last hour, BUT use the juices from the crock-pot instead of water to make the rice) Combine the cooked rice with crock-pot ingredients just before serving.
Easy Slow-Cooker Jambalaya
Featuring chicken, shrimp and smoked sausage, this classic Creole rice dish is well-suited to the slow cooker because the slow cooking allow all the flavors to blend in a marvelous way.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 457
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Protein: 43g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extralarge shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 3/4 cups long-grain rice
- Parsley, optional
- Combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart) slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add shrimp and rice; raise heat to high and cook for 30 minutes more. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note