The very first time i tried this recipe, I knew 30 minutes wouldn't be sufficient to cook the rice, so I didn't run into that disappointment. I've made it three times now, and what I do is put the rice on to cook at the very beginning of the 5 hours. It all cooks together. I just have to be vigilant not to take the lid of the cooker and poke at it. Just throw it all together and leave it alone. I don't use sausage or shrimp, just the chicken and veg. I think it's pretty tasty, personally.
Easy Slow-Cooker Jambalaya
Featuring chicken, shrimp and smoked sausage, this classic Creole rice dish is well-suited to the slow cooker because the slow cooking allow all the flavors to blend in a marvelous way.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 457
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Protein: 43g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extralarge shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 3/4 cups long-grain rice
- Parsley, optional
- Combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart) slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add shrimp and rice; raise heat to high and cook for 30 minutes more. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note