This dish is known as ropa viejo (ROH-pah VYAY-hoh), Spanish for "old clothes." We like that Beth gave it a tasty twist by using fajita seasoning as a rub.
Southern Living JUNE 2006
1. Rub both sides of roast evenly with fajita seasoning.
2. Cook roast in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until browned on all sides.
3. Combine stewed tomatoes and 2 cups water; pour over roast in Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 4 hours or until roast is tender. Remove roast, and shred using 2 forks.
4. Skim fat from tomato liquid in Dutch oven, and discard. Stir shredded beef into tomato liquid.
5. Combine rice and parsley. Serve beef mixture over rice.
Go to full version of