Oh, my kids go nuts over this! I make it often and freeze leftovers because it is so easy and flavorful. I agree about adding salt, and my husband and I also add Tapatio hot sauce to kick it up.
Easy Shredded Beef Over Rice
This dish is known as ropa viejo (ROH-pah VYAY-hoh), Spanish for "old clothes." We like that Beth gave it a tasty twist by using fajita seasoning as a rub.
More From Southern Living
- 1 (4-lb.) boneless top chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Rub both sides of roast evenly with fajita seasoning.
- 2. Cook roast in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- 3. Combine stewed tomatoes and 2 cups water; pour over roast in Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 4 hours or until roast is tender. Remove roast, and shred using 2 forks.
- 4. Skim fat from tomato liquid in Dutch oven, and discard. Stir shredded beef into tomato liquid.
- 5. Combine rice and parsley. Serve beef mixture over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note