Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef (I might use buffalo or even turkey for a little leaner option depending on your metabolic type)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1-2 cups vegetables chopped carrots, corn, peas
- 1 1/2 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones) (I would use cauliflower instead or do potato, cauliflower)
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup beef broth (use low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice (use unrefined sea salt)
- 1. Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes). (Steam cauliflower so you can mash it or put it in the blender so they resemble mashed potatoes.)
- 2. While the potatoes are cooking (or cauliflower), melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.
- 3. Saut onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.
- 4. Add ground beef (or buffalo or turkey) and saut until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
- 5. Mash potatoes (or put cauliflower in the blender until they resemble mash potatoes) in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.
- 6. Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes (or cauliflower) on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.
- 7. Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown. (Watch this carefully, as your cooking time will be less because you are using cauliflower)
This recipe is a personal recipe added by LVander and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note