The tomato paste ruined it- way too much and far too overpowering. It was really good other than that though and I'm looking forward to making it again with just a little bit of paste, if any.
Easy Red Beans and Rice
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Cindy Manning Barr
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 (15-ounce) cans red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked rice
- Sauté first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans and next 7 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice. To reheat, microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 3 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note