Hunter's-Style Beef Pie
Reminiscent of a homestyle chicken pot pie, this hearty pie is filled with a savory mixture of wine-braised beef and tender vegetables. You can substitute an additional 1/2 cup beef broth for the wine if you prefer.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 327
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Protein: 19.8g
- Carbohydrate: 29.2g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 545mg
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Fiber: 2g
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup merlot or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrot (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add steak, onion, and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until steak is browned. Add beef broth and next 3 ingredients to pan; stir well to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrot, mushrooms, and thyme; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Combine flour and water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; add to steak mixture in pan. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thick. Remove and discard thyme; stir in salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spoon steak filling into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Unroll pie dough; cut small slits in center to vent, and place over filling. Fold edges under; flute.
- Bake at 425° for 17 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note