This is very good. I don't think it is the best sweet potato recipe I have ever had, but it is the best recipe for a slow cooker. I made this for a work potluck. It was so nice not having to fight over a microwave to heat up my food.
Easy-Does-It Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Use your microwave to easily cook sweet potatoes, and then tap your slow cooker to hold the mashed sweet potatoes at the perfect serving temperature. You can use the same procedure for your favorite mashed potato recipe with white potatoes.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 15 Minutes
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To cook 5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium) in the microwave, pierce sweet potatoes several times with tines of a fork. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover with damp paper towels. Microwave at HIGH 15 minutes or until tender, turning every 5 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher or a handheld mixer until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup butter, cut up; 1/2 cup maple syrup; 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar; 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon; 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg; 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger; and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir until butter melts. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 2 hours or until thoroughly heated; serve immediately. Sweet potatoes may be kept warm on LOW up to 4 more hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note