It was only ok.
Easy Coq au Vin
Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Deborah Williams
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 33.9g
- Carbohydrate: 16.1g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 727mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle red wine
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 6 ounces frozen pearl onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Cook bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- 2. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaves); cook 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done, turning after 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; cover.
- 3. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add button mushrooms and pearl onions; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 4. Place chicken cooking liquid over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half (about 10 minutes). Discard bay leaves. Stir in mushroom mixture. Return chicken to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until heated. Sprinkle with parsley and bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes