Easy Chicken Tamale Burrito Bowls
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1.5 pound(s) chicken breasts
- 2 cup(s) red enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 orange pepper sliced
- 1.5 cup(s) black beans rinsed and drained
- Cheesy Polenta
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) polenta
- 4 ounce(s) sharp white cheddar shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 2-4 tablespoon(s) butter
- For topping
- 1 avocado mashed with salt and pepper
- 4 ounce(s) queso fresco cheese crumbled
- fresh cilantro chopped
- tortilla chips crushed
- Heat a very large skillet over medium- high heat and add the olive oil. When the skillet is hot, but not smoking (if it starts to smoke, turn heat down a bit and wait 5 minutes before adding the veggies) add the onions and red and orange peppers. Stir fry the peppers for 3-5 minutes, until they just begin to soften. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Keep warm by covering the plate with foil.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the chicken and brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Once the chicken is browned all over add the the enchilada sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic and onion powder and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer the chicken in the sauce for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through and shreds easily.
- Meanwhile, make the polenta. Pour the chicken broth and milk into a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and slowly whisk in the polenta. Cook, stirring frequently, until the polenta is soft and thick, about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep warm and then just before serving, stir in the cheddar cheese and butter, season with salt and pepper. If the polenta seems a little thick you can add a tablespoon of butter or extra milk.
- When the chicken is done cooking remove the chicken from the heat and shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the sauce. If your peppers have cooled off too much I would toss them with the chicken to get them warm again.
- To assemble the bowls, add a nice serving of polenta to each bowl. Top with the peppers and saucy chicken. Finish the bowls off with a dollop of mashed avocado, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips. Dig. In.
- To make this in the crockpot add everything except for the polenta (the chicken, enchilada sauce, spices, peppers and onions) right into the crockpot bowl. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken and cook the polenta. Assemble as directed.
- To make this a vegetarian meal try swapping the chicken for lentils or chickpeas.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mbusque and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Easy Chicken Tamale Burrito Bowls Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes