I should have noticed that the chicken mixture didn't have any seasonings added...it definitely needed salt and pepper. That aside, this was so good...the addition of buttermilk, wine, and stock to the canned soup took it beyond that "cream of" flavor.
Easy Chicken Pie
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup with herbs
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken*
- 3 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll piecrust on a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14- x 12-inch rectangle.
- 2. Stir together soup and next 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with piecrust; fold edges under, and crimp. Cut slits in top for steam to escape.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- *2 (12.5-oz.) cans chicken, drained, may be substituted.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 2. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and freeze up to 1 month. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove pie from freezer, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Loosen foil, and place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake, covered, for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Mushroom-Bacon Chicken Pie: Cook 5 bacon slices in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side or until crisp. Remove bacon slices, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon. Sauté 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms in hot drippings 10 minutes or until tender. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, and sauté 1 minute. Prepare recipe as directed, stirring mushroom mixture and crumbled bacon into chicken mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note