Excellent! And very easy to make. Cook your chicken ahead of time and it helps. I used a lot of other tips from other reviews. I seasoned my chicken with S and P and thyme. I also added peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking. I also used only half of the biscuit can. I agree with another who said the whole can was too many. I cut my strips into squares and it was still a lot of dumplings!! The broth was not heavy or too creamy!
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1 (32-oz.) container low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (10.2-oz.) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1. Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil.
- 2. Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- 3. Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add carrots and celery. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
One roasted chicken yields about 3 cups of meat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes