- 2 (20-ounce) bags home-style potato slices (such as Simply Potatoes)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 ounces aged Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- calories 125
- fat 4.5 g
- satfat 2.8 g
- monofat 1.3 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 5.4 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 1.1 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 0.6 mg
- sodium 192 mg
- calcium 139 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Arrange potatoes in a broiler-safe 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes; uncover carefully.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; swirl to coat. Add thyme and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir in 1/3 cup milk. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in remaining 2 2/3 cups milk. Bring mixture to a simmer; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, pepper, and Gruyère. Pour sauce over potato mixture; sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
Turn on broiler (leave dish in oven). Broil gratin 2 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with chives.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.