- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 ounces French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, patted dry and finely chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 102
- caloriesfromfat 44 %
- fat 5 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- monofat 2.6 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 4.7 g
- carbohydrate 9.8 g
- fiber 1.5 g
- cholesterol 39 mg
- iron 1.1 mg
- sodium 306 mg
- calcium 94 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Remove garlic from oil with a slotted spoon; discard garlic.
Place bread on a baking sheet. Drizzle bread with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; toss to coat. Arrange bread in an even layer. Broil 6 inches from heat for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring after 1 minute. Turn oven off. Place pan on middle oven rack; close oven door.
Add juice and next 6 ingredients (through egg yolk) to remaining oil in pan. Cook over medium heat 30 seconds or until mixture thickens and begins to bubble around edges, stirring constantly. Pour mixture into a small bowl; cool to room temperature.
Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add egg mixture, cheese, and pepper; toss gently to coat. Add bread; toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.