This was super easy to make. I actually used the George Foreman grill to cook the chicken. Besides using the chicken thighs we followed the recipe as is and it came out really well. Really easy to make given that I am a novice in the kitchen. I found it actually tasted better the next day. I've saved this in my recipe box!
Easy Bistro Chicken
This Italian-inspired chicken dish is a one-pot meal your family is sure to love. Serve over hot cooked macaroni or cavatappi pasta.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 chickenbreast half or 1 thigh and 1 drumstick, 1/2 cup sauce, and 1 cup pasta)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 406
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 37.9g
- Carbohydrate: 43.6g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 663mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) chicken breast halves, skinned
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound), skinned
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about1 pound), skinned
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 8 cups hot cooked macaroni or cavatappi
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast halves to pan; sauté 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from pan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining chicken pieces; sauté 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add celery; sauté 5 minutes. Add basil and next 8 ingredients (basil through tomatoes). Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve with pasta. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
You can chop the tomatoes in the can using kitchen shears.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes