Easter Orange Coconut Cake
Yield: one 2-layer cake
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- Orange Filling
- Vanilla Frosting
- About 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in flavoring.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff but not dry; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely.
- Spread Orange Filling between layers; spread top and sides of cake with frosting, and sprinkle with coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings