horrible. the dough was VERY wet. I baked as directed in a bundt pan and it was VERY brown. I feel like it need more sugar, it tasted like flour, very disappointing recipe. Dont bother.
This golden coffee cake with a rich buttery flavor is a German specialty and is named after its decorative baking pan. If you don't have a kugelhopf pan, feel free to use a Bundt pan when making Easter breads.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 643
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 81g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 223mg
- Sodium: 343mg
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 (1/4 oz.) packages active dry yeast
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for serving
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Stir together water and 1 tsp. sugar in a bowl. Sprinkle with yeast and let stand until foamy, 5 minutes. Butter and flour a 10-cup Kugelhopf or Bundt pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar on low speed for about 30 seconds, then increase to mediumhigh and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each. (Mixture will look curdled.) Beat in lemon peel, salt and vanilla. Add yeast mixture; gradually add 2 cups flour. Beat on medium, scraping bowl, until smooth, 5 minutes. Gradually add remaining flour; beat until dough is elastic. Stir in raisins.
- Butter a bowl. Transfer dough to it, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Punch dough down and stir in almonds. Transfer dough to prepared pan, cover with a towel and let rise until dough is within 1/2 inch of top of mold, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Bake Kugelhopf until golden, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 30 minutes. Let Kugelhopf cool for 5 minutes, then turn out of pan onto a rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar; slice with a serrated knife; serve with butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note